Brain Food is a project to drip feed clinical knowledge (in the form of mock SAQs) to satisfy those hungry neurons. Sources are SA/NT Trial Exam 2020.2 and Monash 2022.1. Answers are prone to ageing. Leave a comment if you don't understand or something doesn't seem right...
PS we don't use the mock questions uploaded to ACEMs official mock
His vital signs on arrival:
SaO2 95% RA
He had an ECG on arrival which is shown below.
His POCUS during resus is shown below.
- PEA vs pseudo PEA/cardiac activity
- Diagnosis of some of the reversible causes (Hs and Ts) i.e. tamponade/PE/tension/PTx/cardiogenic shock/hypovolaemia
- Guide and assist Mx
- Prognostic utility
- Efficiency of CPR
- Large pericardial effusion
- Collapsed RA and RV
- Non collapsed tricuspid annulus
- US assisted vs. land mark pericardiocentesis
- Identification of the biggest pocket of fluid
- Use of contrast (agitated saline)/location of needle
- Identification of the causes of tamponade (i.e. TAD, ventricular rupture to direct specific treatment)