Brain Food is a project to drip feed clinical knowledge (in the form of mock SAQs) to satisfy those hungry neurons. Sources are SA/NT Trial Exam 2021.2 and Monash 2022.1. Answers are prone to ageing. Leave a comment if you don't understand or something doesn't seem right...
PS we don't use the mock questions uploaded to ACEMs official mocks
Arrival observations are:
Sats 90% on 15L NRB
As part of your initial assessment the following CXR is performed.
- Blunt aortic pathology - widened mediastinum, abnormal aortic contour, perhaps L apical capping
- Left sided haemothorax - diffuse L sided opacification. Would also accept contusion although well defined heart border going against this.
3. List five (5) possible causes of altered conscious state in this patient? (5 marks)
- Hypovolaemia (i.e. shock, only one point for blood loss)
- Drugs (taken prior to arrival or during ICC insertion)
- Intracranial pathology
4. List five (5) possible causes of this deterioration. (5 marks)
- Tube in wrong place
- Blocked ETT - sputum/blood
- Tension PTx
- Ventilator dysynchrony
- Primary lung pathology e.g. contusions
- Initial dump >1500mL from ICC
- Refractory shock
- Tension pneumothorax